Monday, November 16, 2009

First word ... "Dadda"

Henry has started speaking his first word:  “Dadda!”  Around 8 months he was babbling “Dadda” and “Momma” without any meaning.  Then 2 weeks ago, he started babbling “Dadda” exclusively.  Last weekend (10 months) he said “Dadda” as he crawled towards Chris, but I wasn’t convinced he meant “Dadda.”  Then on Monday, Chris called from work, as he does every day, to check-in, and Henry cried out, “Dadda.”  Now each time I pick up the phone, Henry says, “Dadda.”  How do I know he doesn’t think the phone is called “Dadda?”  I don’t.  But I do know that every morning at 6:30 I nurse Henry, and then we head into the master bedroom to wake up Chris.  On the way into the bedroom, Henry says, “Dadda” the entire time, and looks for Chris, who is usually hiding under the covers.  The sound of his voice, high pitched with lots of inflection, is so sweet. 

Every day Henry gets more interactive.  He’s starting to copy our actions.  If Chris spits out his tongue, Henry spits his tongue back.  He waves hello and goodbye by folding his fingers down with his palms facing him (although it’s usually very delayed).  He smiles at the camera.  He reads books on his own – i.e. sits on the floor with books turning the pages independently.  He can hold half a pear (very ripe and skinned) and take bites out of it.  If I get down on the floor and crawl, he’ll chase me around the house.  After I change his diaper on the floor, he usually escapes (he has an amazingly quick first step), I let him crawl away and then I chase him.  Each time he'll take a few paces then stops and looks back at me grinning from ear to ear.  He turns the wheel on his leapfrog play table to trigger the music, cruises away while dancing (bending his knees), and when the music stops he returns to spin the wheel and start the music again.  He dives at me when I play peek-a-boo.  He gently pets dogs (he used to gouge out their eyes).  He can sit in a toy car and hold the steering wheel as I push the car.

Unfortunately, he is also learning to scream and growl when he doesn’t get what he wants.  He arches his back when he doesn’t want to sit in the stroller.  He deliberately drops food and toys on the floor when sitting in his high chair.  He opens doors and cabinets.  He pulls up on furniture and grabs at the stove knobs – we have covers now.  He also pulls up on the toilet – a no no.  I’ve resorted to putting his toys in a bunch of cabinets, so that he can explore.  I got tired of saying “no” all the time.  Baby toys and other baby safe items that aren’t toys, are exploding from every nook in our 2-bedroom apartment. 

This is a very fun time for us.  *Sigh*tear* good times.    


No comments:

Post a Comment