Thursday, January 14, 2010

Co-Sleeping: Is it dangerous?

I hear stories everyday of parents waking up to lifeless babies after co-sleeping.  Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach.  Not co-sleeping, just the thought that such a sweet and innocent act - sleeping with your baby -- could lead to such a horrible end.  I'm obsessive about keeping Henry to a schedule and doing everything I can to make sure he has restful sleep; but even I have dozed off holding him a couple times.  It seems natural for a parent to want to keep baby close, especially when he is so tiny and helpless.  Parents should avoid drinking alcohol before co-sleeping.  According to a Bloomberg article, one third of all Sudden Infant Death (SIDS) cases was linked to a parent drinking alcohol or doing drugs before co-sleeping -- often on the couch, according to the British Medical Journal.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=afq1jFK8vSf4

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/80213217.html

No comments:

Post a Comment