Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Handmade Christmas Project




For Christmas this year, I decided to make a crochet hat for everyone in our family.  This meant making 20 hats.  I started in July 2009 and finished on December 23, 2009.  My mother and sister-in-law taught me to crochet 3 years ago, but after making a few scarves I lost interest.  I rediscovered crochet through Youtube!  There are free and straightforward tutorials.  I like threadbanger.com and Lionbrand.com have lots of free patterns and tutorials.     

When in the mood, I crocheted for a couple hours a day (during Henry’s naps).  I had a fun time picking out colors and styles for each family member.  Jo Ann fabric became a popular trip for Henry and me.  I also sewed in fleece linings for each hat.  It was the first time I ever made handmade Christmas gifts.  Everyone seemed to appreciate the hats so much more than anything else I’ve ever given.  Although, not all hats fit perfectly, I was able to adjust the fit.  For example, I did not expect that both our nephews (ages 5 and 6) would have the same size noggin as their parents.   

On to my next project!  Amigurumi (編みぐるlitみ lit. knitted stuffed toy) is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures.  "Amigurumi." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 3 Dec 2009, 00:42 UTC. 28 Dec 2009   http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Amigurumi&oldid=329352010  Here's an example below.  





No comments:

Post a Comment